Saturday, November 13, 2010

Numbered bar stools



I found these two wood-and-metal barstools at Deseret Industries months ago. It's a well-established fact that I have a thing for barstools...which is silly, since I own exactly ONE, and it's not a work of art.

They were painted dark green from top to bottom, and it was darn near impossible to sand the paint off of the metal legs!


So I resorted to stripper...


Don't you love how the top gets all moldy looking??


I was in for a surprise when I started scraping paint.

For underneath the green, there was brown.
Underneath the brown, there was red.
Underneath the red...well, there was finally metal.

I sanded down to bare wood on the seats, but I never did completely get down to bare metal on those legs...even after multiple applications of stripper. But I did get down far enough (and smooth enough) to paint again.

So, after Rustoleum primer and black spray paint for the legs, and a little Minwax English Chestnut stain on the tops, here they are today:


I used my Cricut to cut cardstock stencils for the numbers. I squared the stencils up with the grain of the wood, but when I replaced the seats on the bases, I discovered that the grain wasn't squared up with the legs! That bothers me a little...but I am telling myself that for a "funky junk" style, it's OK.





Do I believe myself? That remains to be seen!


HookingupwithHoH
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties


Furniture Feature Fridays

<

MuralMaker and More

19 comments:

Chrissie said...

I think your barstools look fabulous! Well worth all of your effort~

Brandi Nell said...

I am in love! So awesome!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Well done girl...well done!

Barbara Jean said...

wonderful!!!

blessings

barbara jean

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh my we do have similar ones, don't we? love the wood top on yours! they are gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

OH!! I LOVE them! Very cool. You did a beautiful job! :)
Beth.

Anne said...

WOW!!! What a transformation...and I love how they turned out!

Anonymous said...

The only way these would look better, is if they were in my house:) Awesome!

I'm your newest follower! Love your work!

Lindy said...

I love what you did with these. They are too cute!

Unknown said...

Straight out of Pottery Barn catalog, aren't they? Well, they could be! Just too cute!

Would love for you to join us this weekend at Passion for Paint!

Beans and Buttons said...

These are great! Love them!!

Judy @ In His Grip said...

These are great. I love the numbers on them. Just wondering are there ever any conflicts as to who gets to sit on what number? Ha, ha.

Rachel said...

It's a floral pillows and stripes pillow sort of thing. Go with it! :D

Heidi said...

they are totally adorable! love the stenciled numbers! cheers!
:)Heidi

Michelle Vandepol said...

going to copy these :) love them

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

What a transformation... love the numbers! I'm putting your stools in the PoPP Spotlight tomorrow. Thank you for linking up :)

FairfieldHouse said...

Wow! These are great. You did a fantastic job. I have been searching all over for stools just like this.

Deborah
FairfieldHouseNJ.com

Ashlee Marie said...

They are just AMAZING! simply amazing. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

Jamie said...

These look great! Good job!!