Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Seduced

Sometimes you see a picture of a piece of furniture, and you fall in love...

You call immediately, make promises to drive twenty miles, and show up with cash in hand...

You beat out 97 other callers who were also seduced, and cackle gleefully to yourself, thinking,
"I got it first!"

Then you drive the twenty miles to inspect the furniture and find that
it's not what you thought.


It may have lovely carvings and curvy legs, but it's NOT "real wood."
(Some people's definition of "wood" boggles the mind.)

Unfortunately, at that point you may feel so stupid about the time and energy involved that you pass the money over anyway, and make a tiny woman help you haul a 2-ton dresser up a flight of stairs and out to your car in the rain.

Yes, I am very committed to my craft.


Lotsa sanding....lotsa drawers.....lotsa primer....lotsa paint....


I chose Sherwin Williams "Creamy" for this dresser, and glazed it with black craft paint. The dresser was missing one pull, but I had two in my stash of a similar style and the same size, so I chose to use those for the two center drawers. I sprayed all the hardware with ORB paint.



One of the drawers also had a broken track...a plastic one. I thought it would be easy enough to find a replacement. WRONG! I couldn't find a plastic track anywhere. I rigged a wooden track to kinda-sorta work, but the drawer is still sticky. I decided, "Too bad." I've invested too much time and energy in this piece already! I advertised it for a great price, and today someone is taking a lovely-looking piece of furniture home with them, fully aware that it was some flaws.


I am frantically getting ready for the Scraps of Simplicity Market, so it's time to move on!




Domestically Speaking

Photobucket

HookingupwithHoH

Catch As Catch Can

12 comments:

Ronda Batchelor said...

thanks for the comment over at Remodelaholic. And you have an amazing blog. I love the cabinet door signs.
Ronda

My Petticoat is Showing said...

We did that with a dog once hee hee - still have him and love his little disfunctional heart. The cabinet looks lovely, you did a wonderful job. They are lucky to get it!!!

Rachel said...

LOL! I like My Petticoat's comment. I sometimes think that is what my husband thinks.

I have a piece of furniture that was given to us. Used to be Brian's grandfather's. A lovely piece of NOT wood but looks like wood piece of furniture that I was told under no circumstances was I to 'fix it up'. It is an antique and so it sits in my bedroom. In all its ugly glory..... wishing for a face lift.... I totally understand others lack of knowledge towards what is wood and what isn't. I'm sorry but, laminate is NOT wood......

wisp said...

Very nice! I love it. I really like the way you glazed it with the black. It gives it such an awesome look. :)

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

for what it's worth... you did a great job.
now with your boggled mind... go out there and shop!
Next time you'll make an informed decision-- I'm sure of it!
Cause we learn from out mistakes...he he he... Pat

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Too funny! I would never know it wasn't real wood, becuse you did such an amazing job fixing it up!

Becca Bertotti said...

Awesome transformation! Love the black glaze, too! *Becca*

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

It's true that people have strange ideas of what wood is. Pressed board doesn't count people! Love what you did with it.

Allison@FabRehab said...

Looks great...and I can't tell it's not REAL wood :)

Designed by Chance said...

It looks great. I never seem to find anything online, of course I have two dressers at home that need some work so I have my hands full.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

funny story! The dresser looks great!
gail

Decor & Harmony said...

The dresser looks great! Love the creamy white with the black touch :)