Monday, January 27, 2014

Triple Printers Console Cabinet

There was a strong temptation for me to entitle this post:  “She’s not dead.  Not yet.”  (And if you know what movie character I’m paraphrasing, you get 10 Chicken Points.)

It has been a very looonnnngg while since I’ve posted, or even been particularly active on the blogs at all.  I seem to have been part of the “where does blogging fit into my life” club…as I’ve found several other bloggers who have also taken long breaks, trying to answer that question!

I think I just managed to burn myself out a little between a summer market, a fall market, and Christmas signs for two shops and one small show.  Then there were Christmas preparations…and finally, a break!  It was delightful.  I loved that week after Christmas where there was really nothing I had to do!  Do you ever feel that way?

With shows and special orders out of the way for a while, I decided to tackle a “home” project…our family room.  When we moved in here (just over a year ago), the family room was the room where we put everything that we couldn’t figure out another place for…it became the dumping ground.  The kids used the room because it was where the TV was, but I almost never went in there, even to watch a movie…I hated everything about it!

So in the past few weeks, it has been my happy-although-at-times-frustrating task to make it in to a more useable, functional, and pretty place for our family to use.  I’ll share some “before” pictures at another time, but for tonight, I just thought I’d share my one major “build” for this room.

Red Hen Home Triple Printers Console 3

I fell in love with Ana White’s Triple Printers Console plans when they first appeared more than a year ago.  It was one of the first items I “pinned” for inspiration to my Family Room Pinterest board (if you visit, you might find some other hints of what is going on in this room).

Red Hen Home Triple Printers Console 5

I knew I wanted a painted finish, however, more like the Pottery Barn Dawson Media Console, and this is what I ended up with (the picture above looks a little greener than real life, I think).  First I stained the whole cabinet with Rustoleum American Walnut stain, then I painted with a DIY chalk paint made with sample pot of Valspar Perfect Storm.  After some heavy distressing, I glazed it all with more stain, then used MMS wax in both regular and dark to protect it all.

This was a challenging build in some ways—namely, the cabinet doors.  There is more of a gap around them than I would like, but it doesn’t bother me as much now that I’ve lived with it for a while.  I discovered that you should NOT buy the cheapest hinges you can find because, well….they’re cheap.  At 22” wide, these door are heavy, and cheap hinges tend to sag…and there’s nothing you can do about it.  I may be a little bitter about that. 

One of the things that made this a simpler build, however, was that I splurged for Select Pine.  It’s significantly more expensive, but SO lovely and smooth—hardly any sanding required!  I still had to hunt…and hunt….and hunt some more (at two different stores)…to find straight 2x2’s, but once I did, it was easy to build nice and square with those perfect corners.

Red Hen Home Triple Printers Console 2

I omitted the center drawer and just put in a shelf to store the DVD player and the Wii console.  Then my other splurge was to buy three Flipworks DVD trays through Amazon.  Each rack screws directly onto the shelves, but then slides out so you can access all of your movies.  We have stored our DVDs in IKEA boxes for a long time, and you had to go through every box to find the movie you wanted (yes, I’d considered labeling the boxes, but there’s no point when you have 6 children who never put anything away properly).

Red Hen Home Triple Printers Console 4

I adore all the label pulls, which I purchased from D. Lawless Hardware (they are VERY reasonably priced!).  I really have no plans to put actual labels in them….I think they are pretty just the way they are!

Red Hen Home Triple Printers Console 1

This new console is really the focal point of the whole room, and it makes me happy every time I walk in there—a far cry from how I used to feel!  I am still anxious to get everything put together so I can show off the room, but it is coming together…piece by piece!

 

Thanks to Someday Crafts, Elizabeth & Co., My Repurposed Life, and Domestically Speaking for featuring this project!

**********************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Perfectly Imperfect  
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours Mod Vintage Life

33 comments:

Full Circle Creations said...

I love how this turned out! You did a great job on it. Makes me want to go out to the shop and start building something NOW!

Katy said...

I think you've done a beautiful job. I'm working on the farmhouse bed right now, also from Ana. I'm using milk paint and both white and dark waxes to get the look I want. Love the blue/green paint. Will have to check out making chalk paint for my next project. Thanks

White Lace and Promises said...

What a great piece! I've been burn out with painting since the fall and I just haven't been able to start again. Maybe when the weather changes and I can paint outside it will happen. I've looked for your posts because you're one of my favorites.

Zimtkätzchen und Zuckerschnecke said...

Hello from Germany,
what a great Idea! I love that for the DVDs. i only have 2 Girls, but it´s the same when we want to watch DVD. Where is the right one??? Great Job!
And please.. which film is it? Because I can not sleep tonight!
:) Have a nice day
DAni

Nancy's Notes said...

That turned out great! Can't wait to see the entire room. You've got a great start and that is wonderful, way to go!

Anonymous said...

That cabinet is beautiful, I really like the colour!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love it, Korrie! The size, the color, and the drawer pulls are all great. I especially love how you set up the DVD organization. I could definitely use something like that!

Lulu said...

I love this cabinet. Not only does it look great, it is so functional and would be any place you put it. Good job!

Kelley said...

Very nice job. I love the color and especially the label drawer pulls. Nicely executed.

Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

Gorgeous color! What a beautiful addition to the home.

My Repurposed Life said...

well, you've been away, but you certainly have been busy! Love this cabinet, the color is perfect!!!

can't wait to see more of the room
gail

Bliss said...

This is fantastic Korrie! And it's not like you didn't deserve a break - you were like a worker bee last fall.

Pinning.

D. Lawless Hardware said...

Great project! Thanks so much for the link!

Cassie Bustamante said...

WOW, korrie! way to prove you are still alive and knocking it out!

A Bit of Colour said...

Love! Love! Love! this! The color is absolutely beautiful!!!!! Fantastic job!

Gypsy Heart said...

You are amazing! I love, love this piece and the color. Great job!

xo
Pat

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That is one seriously amazing cabinet Korrie! The drawers, the colors, the pulls, oh my! And here I thought you were lounging around eating bon bons ... just kidding of course!

Homeroad said...

Wow Korrie... awesome job, great color! You are so talented!

Carla said...

Finding straight wood is incredibly difficult. I'm surprised any furniture is square. Looks absolutely beautiful.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! I'm so impressed and i love the color. Those flip trays are wonderful too. I could use some of those for sure! Pinning!

Mimi@blueroofcabin said...

I love that cabinet! You did a fabulous job on it. I'm so glad you took a little time to do something for yourself. It makes such a difference when you can walk into a room and smile not cringe. ;) I am really digging the finish you did.

Unknown said...

This is awesome!! I love the pulls and the paint...wow! Thanks for sharing and inspiring! ~Lisa @ Practically Perfect Home

Ivy & Co said...

That looks awesome. Love the color. Those dvd racks are so handy! I have a card catalog with original label pulls like that and I put labels on them, printed on scrapbook paper in a gorgeous font. With so many drawers it keeps me really organized!

Unknown said...

I am so impressed. It turned out so perfect - the colour, distressing, etc.!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

What a gorgeous piece and I love that shade of blue! I'm featuring your console in this week's PoPP Spotlight... thanks for linking up!

Adina said...

Wow, what a great cabinet and great color. I love everything about it. Good job!
Adina @ Simply Country Life

Debra@CommonGround said...

this is so amazing!! If you lived close I'd definitely ask you to make one for me, we've had a problem coming up with something usable for the tv and Blueray. great job!!

Beth@Makemeprettyagain.com said...

Hi. Turned out great! I made the same one after I saw Jen Woodhouse ask Ana for the plans! I chose to go with rustic alder because I wanted to hace the weathered gray look. I know exactly what you mean about the doors! This was a challenging piece, to say the least. I noticed you went with a DVR space too!! So did I. But I put the drawer front on a hinge to hide it. anyway, yours came out very nice. If you would like to see another one, here is the link over at my blog.....http://makemeprettyagain.blogspot.com/2012/11/printer-cabinet-finally-done-rh-knock.html

Thanks!! Beth

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

Beautiful job!!! I love it so much! I was drooling over it too when Ana posted it!

Unknown said...

I can't even express how deeply I am in love with this cabinet. Like, crazy in love. Love!!

Unknown said...

Wow, what an amazing piece and colour too. You are so talented.

TheMoonAndMe said...

Korrie, this is such an amazingly gorgeous piece! Wow is all I can say. You really did it justice. :)
Kelly

Ashley said...

How well do the handles hold up? Are they sturdy enough to open the doors?

I've started building this project and ordered the same pulls. They will bend if I try, so I was wondering if you had any issues.

Thanks!

(BTW I LOVE LOVE LOVE the finished look)

Ashley